Monday, June 23, 2008

Fur Babies

Ok, ok...my absence has been pointed out by several people. Time to get back to it. What have I been up to? I don't know. But I've been busy. Between friends in crisis and a couple crises of my own, blogging just hasn't happened. So, starting with today.

Well, yesterday, to be exact. The title of this post is "Fur Babies," so as you can guess, we expanded our fur family by more than 1. We came home from our camping weekend with 2 tiny kittens. We picked them up from our friends who live on an acreage that was on the way home from the campsite. We had been to their house for dinner last Sunday, and as soon as we saw the kittens on their porch, I think I KNEW we were going to have one. But THEN I saw them all (5 in the litter) playing together, and thought 2 would be better....for some reason...Anyways. Yesterday, Sully and Pepita came to live at our house. Sully (short for Sullivan) is grey with white on his neck and paws...and on his bum. Pepita (Spanish for "nugget") is the runt of the litter, a tiny little calico....well,...nugget. She's sitting on my lap right now trying to play with my fingers while I type...Sully is crying after Aaron...got left on the couch when Aaron went to get a snack. How sad.

Suki is taking it as well as can be expected, I guess. She hisses and growls whenever they get within 5 feet of her. Oh, well. She'll get over it, I hope. That's the only deal breaker. If she turns nasty or starts peeing everywhere, the kittens will have to go back. And that will be sad. We've tried to keep some of her routines the same...she still sleeps with us, the kittens sleep in a kennel in the living room which is closed off from the rest of the house. She still gets to come in the bathroom and sit on the back of the toilet when either of us have a shower (I don't get this one, but she REALLY insists on being there...), and I try to keep her food dish as HER food dish...her space.

I'm a little nervous about having 3 cats in a small space like we're living in now, amid the renovations...so hopefully the basement will at least be livable by the time the babies get to be too big. Until then, we'll be a cozy, happy little family.

We'll see how this adventure turns out.

3 comments:

Marisa said...

I think she'll get over it, it took Minx a little while to love Chou and Maui, but they are all happy now - years later.

Hope I get to meet the babies someday, they're beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you took two because every child needs playmates.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, mmm! Cats are tasty!