Thursday, July 12, 2007

Trashing your dressing room


I work in a clothing store as one of my part time jobs. I really like it. I love my boss, the people I work with...actually, there's very little I DON'T like about working there...BUT...it drives me CRAZY when people take clothing (1 piece or 20 pieces, it doesn't matter) into the change room, and then leave it in piles on the floor, or slung/crumpled over the walls and doors when they leave. It's never the people you'd expect it from, either. For some reason, it seems that some of the most well-put-together people, style-wise, can be the biggest culprits of all.

Even though I know that part of my job is to clean up after people in the dressing rooms, and I expect to straighten things up a bit before putting them back on the racks, I just feel a little bit disrespected when things are left in a big heap.

Is it me? Is it because I work in a clothing store that I am always careful to leave the change-room relatively neat when I leave? I don't really think so...I've been conscious of this since I was young. Maybe I'm just a neat freak. Nope. Just ask Aaron. So is it just a general lack of consideration for others? I dunno. I give up...I guess I'll just keep cleaning up.

3 comments:

Jim Thomsen said...

I think it really is a lack-of-consideration thing. I always either hang up everything I try on, or stack it neatly. Otherwise I'd be thinking about how much the store people must hate me. Not that I'm such a great and selfless humanitarian, but it makes me feel good to know that such things are a part of my regular thought process.

And, really, what does it cost me to neaten up a little? Twenty extra seconds out of my day?

There is also a school of thought that by just dropping and discarding clothes, the custimers may think they're actually playing their proper role by giving you something to do. They may think: "It's not my job to do YOUR job, after all."

And some people — probably a lot — just don't think at all. We're increasingly living in a world that encourages people to be centered on themselves. Sometimes it's a good thing.

Mostly, though, I think it's bad.

Marisa said...

It's totally a lack of consideration. People do it in the pet store, too. They take down a bag of dog food (bird seed, fish food, whatever) and on discovering it's not what they meant, PUT IT ON THE FLOOR and get what they really want.

When I'm at work, my mantra is sadly "People Suck."

DC said...

The dressing room...I agree with you too. I hang the clothes that I have tried on back on the hanger and sometimes even go to the extreme of putting them back onto the rack where I found them. Guilty culprit of working in a clothing store too? Maybe partly, but I just think of the next person who will be really disappointed trying on an item that is all wrinkled from disrespect.