Monday, July 23, 2007

Why isn't everyone like Mike Holmes?

Most Canadians know who Mike Holmes is. His website is here. If you are American, your only exposure to him might be on the Ellen Degeneres Show. (Upon further investigation, I understand that you can find his show on the Discovery Channel).

As we move through the demolition process in our basement, we keep finding more and more monkey work that has been done over the years. Today, we discovered 2 leaks in the foundation along one wall. Mike Holmes is a guy who goes in to the homes of people who have been victims of shoddy contractor work, or even had money taken from them, and then had the contractor run off with it, leaving them in an unfinished mess. I understand that this is not an uncommon occurrence. What seems to be uncommon is people like Mike Holmes who "Make It Right," the first time. Or maybe we just don't hear about them enough.

The latest update on the basement is that, upon returning from Aaron's sister's wedding, I set the sprinkler hose on my front flower bed, which was looking kind of wilted. I went to bed shortly after, and asked Aaron to turn it off when he came inside. Well, long story short, he forgot. The water ran on the flower bed, which is right along the south side of the house, all night. It caused some big-time settling in the flower bed and edge of the lawn, probably up to 6". The water seeping into the ground found its way into our basement via 2 large cracks. I don't know how long it had been coming into the basement when I found it this morning, but it took quite a while for both cracks to stop seeping water. We don't really know where to go from here, Aaron is just trying to finish getting all the debris out of the basement (he called Hire-a-Student today and 2 kids came over about an hour ago)so that we can assess a bit better. My parents are also on their way up. They were expecting to help frame and drywall, but I guess that won't be happening now.

MIKE HOLMES, HELP ME!!!!!

(Our desktop computer is put away to make room for other furniture from the basement...I can't upload pictures onto this computer. I'll get them on as soon as I can)

6 comments:

Jim Thomsen said...

Kelsie, I think it's time to call in a Catholic priest to exorcise the basement demons. Before you two uncover more dismembered teen-hitchiker corpses. :)

Marisa said...

Is it possible to get Mike Holmes or some Canadian version of Extreme Home Makeover to come help?

Jim Thomsen said...

Reese, you and I should send e-mails to the show. I'll do it today. Who knows ... Mike just might show up!

Everybody else send an e-mail, too.

Kelsie-lou said...

I think Mike/EHM only show up if OUTSIDE forces have caused your house to fall apart. Not if you did it yourself... :(

Marisa said...

I looked on his website for how to email and couldn't find anything.

Kelsie-lou said...

"Tell Us Your Story" on the right hand end of the sites tool bar (I guess that's what you'd call it).