Friday, August 17, 2007

Workin' 9-5.....


If you've known me for any time at all, you know all about my employment woes. A teacher by profession, I love kids. I love teaching them, I love playing with them, I love telling them stories, I love listening to their stories. What I DON'T like about teaching is the HUGE lack of support I have found from most of the administration and a very painful minority of parents. Strangely enough, for me, however, I am not going to spend this blog entry complaining about it, though. Really, what I'm trying to figure out is "Where do I go from here?"

I've been thinking about it a lot lately, and really, I have come to no conclusions. Here are some things I DO know, however.

1)I NEED to bring in an income.
2)I love teaching kids.
3)There are few to no teaching jobs available for me right now.
4)When I get into teaching jobs where I don't have supportive admin, it becomes VERY stressful, to the point of being mentally unhealthy for me.
5)I have my permanent teaching certificate
6)There are people all over the place making money doing random things.
7)I could make money doing something different.
8)I don't want to do anything that would be intricate and complicated, or involve a lot of investment or inventory
9)It's scary...not knowing if I'll get a teaching job, or even if I WILL teach. Either way.


Here are the questions:
1)Do I WANT to pursue something outside of teaching?
2)If I do pursue something outside of teaching, will I be stuck with it?
3)What would I do?
4)Is doing something I like even slightly less than teaching, but brings in a good income going to be satisfying for me?

So. Anyone have any suggestions for me? Answers to my questions? Simple business ideas?

8 comments:

Marisa said...

I don't have any help whatsoever but want you to at least know that I read it and I care...

Jim Thomsen said...

I wish I knew the answer ... and wish you had more options available to you. I think you're meant to be a teacher, Kelsie, but at some point you need to stop accepting crap jobs that chip away at your confidence. Because life's too short to feel like crying yourself to sleep every night. Better just to work retail and give piano lessons ... and more selectively pick and choose treaching opportunities as they arise.

Happiness above all, income second.

Kelsie-lou said...

No more crap jobs for me. I'm basically zeroing in on a k-3 position at the school Aaron teaches at...if teaching is what is in the plans...

Zaak said...

The educational system fails many teachers. I don't have a great desire to ever step into a classroom again, but I probably will because it's a good income and I can tolerate most of the horrors.

I'm in a similar boat... but, I have lots of ideas of stuff I could do, I just can't pick!

Here are some for you: Something internet based (eBay maybe), library work, distribution agent for something, mom...

Kelsie-lou said...

I like how you snuck that last one in there...nice. "Mom" is good and all, but it just doesn't pay enough on its own...

I've looked into ebay, but it's rather daunting to me...what would I sell?

Kelsie-lou said...

I guess this is kind of sticky...really, if YOU have a good, simple idea of how to make money, why wouldn't YOU do it yourself, instead of giving your idea to me?

Angela said...

Hi Kelsie! I found you through Jim's blog and was instantly drawn in. I taught for several years. My best friend taught for several years. I now work in communications/marketing; she's going to flight school to learn to fly commercial jets. We're happier now than when we were teaching but could both go back at any time (and think about it occasionally). I took a job with a temp agency and had fun before I was offered my current job (through the agency, as well). For now, teaching is not in the cards for me, and I'm happy/okay with that. But no one can really answer your questions except you. Is there a way for you to teach and have it be a more positive experience? (i.e. in a private school? substituting? doing something else with little ones?)

The answer to your last question here in the comments, though, is that I lose nothing by sharing it with you. Temp work is the best pay I've found for my skills and lack of organizational ability. Ebay is a rough gig. Medical transcription? Daunting. Freelance? Not enough work.

I also was looking into working for a tutoring center or trying to sell myself as a tutor before going with temp work. I think I make more money now, though, and enjoy myself more than I would if I were going to people's house to talk about math. eeew. not for me. Good luck to you!

Kelsie-lou said...

Thanks, Angela! I appreciate your input...

I applied for the Gr. 2 job, and didn't even get an interview. It's hard not to wonder when you apply for a job that's right in your area of experience and preference at a school around the corner from your house (in a small town) where your husband teaches (which shouldn't create a problem because the principal is the wife of one of the elementary teachers)...and don't get an interview...